Voting

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Heartbreak

Kellyn is sick. I was up with her last night-in tears the whole night. But not for the reason you might think. I cried and cried because I had Kellyn with me on my lap, laying next to me in bed and I could give her medicine and rub her back and sing songs to her and reassure her that she was going to be ok. I am able to make her feel better. I am able to make her feel safe. There are thousands of children in Haiti right now, some in hospitals, some in orphangages and some, sadly, just wandering the streets. They are scared and hurt and have nobody to hold them and soothe them and reassure them. This earthquake has given new meaning to the expression "keeping me up at night". I literally can't sleep at night for worry and heartache for Haiti. One voice in my head says "you have brought 3 children out of Haiti, you are rasing money for them and are praying every day for them. You can only do so much". But the other voice is telling me "No! You can do more and you must do more! There is so much to be done and so much help is needed. Find another way to help!" But I am at a loss. I don't know what to do. But what I can say is that if anyone reading this has ever considered adoption, please think about it seriously now, and think about the Haitian children. If you are able, start the process. Take some of these children into your homes and families. I am still going to look for other ways to help, but for now I feel compelled to ask everyone to really think about the possibility of adopting from Haiti. If not adoption, do anything you can to help. These are human beings. They need our help. For more information on adoption, please visit foyerdesion.org.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey, i have been seriously trying to figure out what to do myself.... i've even thought about getting a group together and flying out there..... i made some calls today to international adoption agencies getting some new info..... we will see..... i think that maybe in a month there should be another bake sale..... i would love to help and we could try to do it on a Saturday at like walmart or costco... i don't know but i feel the same as you!

k said...

Hi Baker Family,
This is Katie Gray from Belgrade, I worked with Maryn, Tristan, and Fabiola in the schools. I loved reading your blog and seeing the pictures of them all. I would love to write them if you have a mailing address. We have thought about them a lot since the earthquake.
Hi to the kids,
Katie

The Baker Family - a red thread said...

Hi Katie! Sorry I didn't see this comment before-I know the kids would love to hear from you! Our mailing address is 1936 N. 285 W. Layton, UT 84041. I hope you get this!